From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] drivers for INTEL integrated GPU?
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 21:39:21
1 On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 11:54 AM, Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 2:28 PM, R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 3:39 AM, Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005520.html
7 >> ev says that everything up to Intel HD 620 is supported. It is
8 >> probably reasonable to assume that a HD 630 device is supported.
11 > OTOH, the gentoo WiKi https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Intel seems to
12 > imply that the commitment of Intel with Linux may be somewhat
13 > colder...
16 >> There are Intel HD devices, but there are also Iris devices. Per
17 >> marketing materials I found the Iris line is intended to be
18 >> distributed with higher-end computers for "professional" use. Do Iris
19 >> and HD devices actually differ in driver support or is it mostly the
20 >> name that shows up in lspci or Window's device manager that differs?
21 >
22 > First time I read about it. Wikipedia
23 > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_HD_and_Iris_Graphics has a few
24 > tables suggesting Iris is higher end stuff. I don't know about kernel
25 > support.
29 They seem to be shipped with very high-end mobile devices (elitebooks,
30 dell XPS line, Microsoft's Surface) that do not have a discrete GPU.
31 From what I can tell it may be hardware differences that don't
32 propagate up to the driver level, but there seems to be no info on it.
33 I had been assuming they were compatible but had no proof.