From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Need coaching with emerge failure logs (Understanting the problem)
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 05:05:49
1 > On 26 Feb 2017, at 14:42, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > My biggest trouble is that I just don't see anything looking like a
4 > clue that I recognize as such.... in those logs.
5
6 I always search for "error", and look around the first one.
7
8 I'd have assumed subsequent errors would be a result of the first one.
9
10 Early in the log you sent there are a couple of entries like this:
11
12 Checking for libvpx:
13 vpx not found at -lvpx or vpx headers not found
14 Check the file /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions-5.1.14/work/VirtualBox-5.1.14/configure.log for detailed error information.
15
16 But then the emerge continues for many hundreds of lines more, apparently unaffected.
17
18 I would google the "vpx not found…" line and see if I get any hints, but I don't feel that's important - I think it may just be a warning.
19
20 The string "error" comes up a couple of times in the context of -Werror compiler flags, but that's clearly not what we're looking for.
23 I would be looking primarily at the next point the word "error" comes up properly, which is here:
24
25 from /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions-5.1.14/work/VirtualBox-5.1.14/src/VBox/Runtime/common/alloc/alloc.cpp:34:
26 /lib/modules/4.9.10-gentoo/build/arch/x86/include/asm/atomic.h: In function ‘int atomic_read(const atomic_t*)’:
27 /lib/modules/4.9.10-gentoo/build/include/linux/compiler.h:305:42: error: uninitialized const member in ‘union atomic_read(const atomic_t*)::<anonymous>’
28 union { typeof(x) __val; char __c[1]; } __u; \
31 Interestingly, I see the mess of colour code brackets and numbers when I open the log you attached in TextEdit, vim or my Mac's Console.app logfile viewer.
32
33 If cat or sed them into the terminal (I noticed this adding the embedding spaces to the above) the colour codes are converted to colours and the text is displayed nicely.
34
35 In the above the filenames and the "‘union atomic_read(const atomic_t*)::<anonymous>’" are bold white, and the word "error:" is displayed in red.
36
37 Stroller.