From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Need coaching with emerge failure logs (Understanting the problem)
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 14:42:56
1 Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 >> On 25 Feb 2017, at 14:19, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> I've attached a hefty log of some 4000 lines and hope someone will be
6 >> patient enough to try to identify what is causing the problem.
7 >
8 > I took a look at this, but the broken colour codes throughout the
9 > log make it quite hard to read.
10
11 Thanks for taking the time ... It was asking quite a lot.
12
13 > Example at the beginning: [32;01m *
14 > Example from the end: *
15 >
16 > Output to the terminal these would show the text in different colours,
17 > but the output was redirected to a textfile or mishandled in a
18 > copy-paste operation (not sure if screen or tmux does this?).
19 >
20 > Running emerge with `--color n` would have made this log much more
21 > readable. Its size already makes it hard to search.
22
23 Yes, and I am sorry about that, its just that I could not discern what
24 parts were important. Still I should have posted only the last
25 400-500 lines.
26
27 Just so you know... I did try that. [--color n] The resulting log
28 looked exactly the same. I posted that fact in an earlier request for
29 help a week or so ago in which I remarked how using the no-color
30 emerge option didn't seem to make a bit of difference. I don't expect
31 anyone would have noticed the comment... but it does seem a bit off
32 that I see no differernce here. That is, no difference in the actual
33 log emerge creates. I do see the difference in the terminal output.
34
35 You mentioned `screen' and I am working in a screen terminal.
36
37 What you see is the actual log emerge left behind, when the emerge
38 failed. Not something copy/pasted. I'm working on something to remove
39 all that bunk. When I get to it, I will post a much reduced version
40 with no escapes. And only including the last 400 lines or so.
41
42 My biggest trouble is that I just don't see anything looking like a
43 clue that I recognize as such.... in those logs.
44
45 I'm not really up on how terminals decode that stuff, But when I do a
46 `cat' on those logs... into my screen terminal... I see the
47 highlighted text... no escapes.
48
49 Makes it a bit hard to see what my perl script is trying to remove... hehe.