From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 18:56:38
1 On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 9:02 AM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > If that's the case then it sounds like 2FA doesn't really provide any
4 > extra assurance. It's another layer but if the machine is hacked then
5 > it sounds like it becomes a very thin layer.
6 >
7 > I'd most like to allow the remote employee to use their own computer,
8 > but is there any way to have reasonable assurance that a remote
9 > attacker can't log into my web stuff if the employee's computer is
10 > compromised?
11 >
12 > With a Chromebook, how can I be assured that the employee is only able
13 > to log into my web stuff with the Chromebook?
16 It looks like this is possible to do with a Google Apps account:
17 https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/business/devices/features-management-console.html
18 https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/2657289
19 https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/1375678
20
21 You can control who can log in, and what sites they can visit (just
22 blacklist * and then whitelist specific sites). Schools commonly use
23 this so that they don't have to deal with kids visiting sites of ill
24 repute. You can also control application/extension installation.
25
26 It looks like you can also use remote attestation if your application
27 supports it which prevents access from a tampered device even if it
28 has the right credentials/etc. (That's the whole "trusted/treacherous
29 computing" thing.) You could in theory have security such that your
30 application works with single-sign-on but doesn't work unless
31 connected to using a trusted device (but I'd have to do more research
32 on that).
33
34 The one thing you will have to be careful about is printing. They can
35 only print to PDF, or to cloud print. I'm not sure if that is an
36 issue for your use case.
37
38 I've never used it personally, but it is apparently quite popular with
39 schools. I'd suggest looking into it. The service isn't free - you
40 need google apps to make it work. However, it sounds like it is
41 relatively cheap. I'd certainly be interested in hearing from anybody
42 who knows more about it, but if I had a small business that was purely
43 web-based I'd strongly consider a solution like this.
46 Rich