From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 19:33:13
1 >> If that's the case then it sounds like 2FA doesn't really provide any
2 >> extra assurance. It's another layer but if the machine is hacked then
3 >> it sounds like it becomes a very thin layer.
4 >>
5 >> I'd most like to allow the remote employee to use their own computer,
6 >> but is there any way to have reasonable assurance that a remote
7 >> attacker can't log into my web stuff if the employee's computer is
8 >> compromised?
9 >>
10 >> With a Chromebook, how can I be assured that the employee is only able
11 >> to log into my web stuff with the Chromebook?
14 > It looks like this is possible to do with a Google Apps account:
15 > https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/business/devices/features-management-console.html
16 > https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/2657289
17 > https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/1375678
18 >
19 > You can control who can log in, and what sites they can visit (just
20 > blacklist * and then whitelist specific sites). Schools commonly use
21 > this so that they don't have to deal with kids visiting sites of ill
22 > repute. You can also control application/extension installation.
25 I'm sorry, I meant can I lock down access to my web stuff so that a
26 particular user can only come from a particular device (or from any
27 device containing a key).
30 > It looks like you can also use remote attestation if your application
31 > supports it which prevents access from a tampered device even if it
32 > has the right credentials/etc. (That's the whole "trusted/treacherous
33 > computing" thing.) You could in theory have security such that your
34 > application works with single-sign-on but doesn't work unless
35 > connected to using a trusted device (but I'd have to do more research
36 > on that).
39 It seems like that would be necessary in my case or the remote
40 employee might prefer working from their own device instead of using
41 the Chromebook. Can I somehow require something like a PGP key in
42 order to authenticate successfully in a browser?
43
44 - Grant