From: Joseph <syscon@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Testing how secure a server is...
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 22:11:23
1 On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 23:37 +0200, Ryan Viljoen wrote:
2 > Joseph could you direct me toward a how to on how to set that up, please.
3
4 I use freesco firewall and they have small package (add-on) called
5 knock, you can install it on a floppy see my howto:
6 http://forums.freesco.org/support/index.php?showtopic=13731
7 but eventually I moved it to HD (as I had too much problems with 1.68Mb
8 floppies)
9 My intension was to use this setup to print to a remote printer location
10 over SSH, and it works like a charm.
11
12 The knock demon runs on firewall (that is the best setup) and listen for
13 specific knock sequence. You can open any port this way.
14 If you have a Gentoo based firewall, knock in in portage but your
15 machine must more mussels to run Gentoo; and Freesco will run on any
16 "door-stopper" starting from 486.
19 #Joseph
20
21 > Raphael have you gone through
22 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/security/index.xml it has some good
23 > points and worth going through and ticking off each one.
24 >
25 > Cheers
26 > Rav
27 >