From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Being Facebook member: How to anon?
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 14:03:05
1 > On 22 Oct 2017, at 16:50, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2 >
3 > for its invasive nature and its data gathering I really dont like
4 > facebook.
5 >
6 > And now it seems that I cant with out it:
7 > There is a HUGE user group for the Creality CR-10 3D printer there
8 > and veryone and everything is referencing it.
9 >
10 > My question is:
11 > Are there ways (and which ones) to become member of facebook
12 > just to read and write to this user grout (like a mailinglist)
13 > and keep the impact on privacy an personal fingerprinting as
14 > small as ever possible?
15
16 I joined Facebook for the first time this week, for similar reasons as, and with similar reservations to, you.
17
18 When people upload a photo of you, it performs facial recognition and they can "tag" you as being in the photo. You don't have to upload a photo of yourself (I'm thinking of trying one in sunglasses) and in the privacy settings you're also able to forbid people from tagging you.
19
20 There are quite granular settings to allow anyone but friends to see or post on your timeline - I was quite impressed by how much privacy appears to be available to users. I suspect this allows you more privacy from you family and colleagues than it does from Facebook, though.
21
22 Stroller.