From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Transferring a theme/addon from one profile to another without downloading
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 04:39:11
1 Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I have one profile with addons and themes, which are no longer
5 > available. They still run fine with my current firefox.
6 >
7 > Now I need to setup a new profile (video/audio problems - see previous
8 > thread) and want to transfer these no longer available addons/themes
9 > from the old to the new profile.
10 >
11 > Is there any way to do this without downloading them from
12 > addons.mozilla.org again?
15 > Thank you very much for any help in advance!
16 > Best regards,
17 > Meino
24 This may help but may not.
25
26 I know recently when I had problems with Lastpass causing Firefox to
27 crash, I only had to delete the directory it has in the extensions
28 directory. Once that was done, Firefox worked but without that
29 plugin/extension. So, I know removing it will make it go away but I'm
30 not sure if the reverse can be said without testing. Basically, copying
31 the directory/file over from another profile may or may not make it work.
32
33 I just did a word search for "lastpass" in a profile and the search
34 found it mentioned in several other files. Here is a partial list:
35
36 pref.js
37 addons.json
38 extensions.json
39 extension.ini
40
41 There are a few others but you get the idea. I'm not sure if Firefox
42 would pick up and add what is needed to those files when you start it
43 and it sees the new plugins/extension files are there. It may but it
44 also may have to be done during the install of the plugin/extension.
45
46 Also, when I have recovered from a backup copy or copied from a old
47 system to a new system, file permissions is something that must match
48 up. Firefox, at least in my past experience, has shown itself to be
49 picky on that. Sometimes, it doesn't even give a error, it just works
50 oddly. So, double check those permissions.
51
52 Good question. Looking forward to seeing if anyone else has done this
53 and how it worked, or didn't work.
54
55 Dale
56