From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Transferring a theme/addon from one profile to another without downloading
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 09:42:14
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 > > Hi,
5 > >
6 > > I have one profile with addons and themes, which are no longer
7 > > available. They still run fine with my current firefox.
8 > >
9 > > Now I need to setup a new profile (video/audio problems - see previous
10 > > thread) and want to transfer these no longer available addons/themes
11 > > from the old to the new profile.
12 > >
13 > > Is there any way to do this without downloading them from
14 > > addons.mozilla.org again?
17 > > Thank you very much for any help in advance!
18 > > Best regards,
19 > > Meino
26 > This may help but may not.
27 >
28 > I know recently when I had problems with Lastpass causing Firefox to
29 > crash, I only had to delete the directory it has in the extensions
30 > directory. Once that was done, Firefox worked but without that
31 > plugin/extension. So, I know removing it will make it go away but I'm
32 > not sure if the reverse can be said without testing. Basically, copying
33 > the directory/file over from another profile may or may not make it work.
34 >
35 > I just did a word search for "lastpass" in a profile and the search
36 > found it mentioned in several other files. Here is a partial list:
37 >
38 > pref.js
39 > addons.json
40 > extensions.json
41 > extension.ini
42 >
43 > There are a few others but you get the idea. I'm not sure if Firefox
44 > would pick up and add what is needed to those files when you start it
45 > and it sees the new plugins/extension files are there. It may but it
46 > also may have to be done during the install of the plugin/extension.
47 >
48 > Also, when I have recovered from a backup copy or copied from a old
49 > system to a new system, file permissions is something that must match
50 > up. Firefox, at least in my past experience, has shown itself to be
51 > picky on that. Sometimes, it doesn't even give a error, it just works
52 > oddly. So, double check those permissions.
53 >
54 > Good question. Looking forward to seeing if anyone else has done this
55 > and how it worked, or didn't work.
56
57 I had the problem of html5 notplaying audio, I created a new profile,
58 andit madeit work and I just re-installed the add-ins I wanted. I then
59 copied the entire profile directory so that in case this happened
60 again, I could always revert to my backup copy.
61
62 I did actually have to do this once.
65 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
66 How do
67 you spend it?
68
69 John Covici