From: Mike Myers <fluffymikey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: [gentoo-user] Intel Core Duo Processor - Anyone?
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 22:46:42
1 Are you sure that it was a Pentium M and not a Pentium4-M or just the
2 p4s? There is a signicant difference. With all the benchmarks I've
3 seen, the Pentium Ms beat all the other processors in terms of power
4 consumption and heat and in a lot of cases, performance. it even
5 outdoes the P4s and the FX series amds. Tomshardware even has
6 benchmarks claiming such a thing (which is odd since they're usually
7 anti-intel). It is after all, a souped up P3 which allows it to have a
8 faster clock speed than the p4s even when running with fewer ghz.
9
10 Lord Sauron wrote:
11
12 >http://www-131.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=4611686018425155337&storeId=10000001&langId=-1&categoryId=2059153&dualCurrId=1000073&catalogId=-840
13 >
14 >That's the cheapest X60 with Core Duo. HOWEVER:
15 >
16 >I'd still highly recommend a AMD Turion. Well... I'd even more
17 >strongly suggest just waiting, all you prospective laptop buyers. A
18 >Dual Core Turion64 is coming *very* soon. The Turion64s murdered the
19 >Pentium M processors in not just speed but power efficiency. My
20 >Athlon1400 could kill a Pentium 4 2.4GHz any time. My Athlon64 can
21 >destroy the fastest non-dual core Pentium 4 (extreme editions exempted
22 >- I don't know anyone with one to compare the performance with). Acer
23 >makes good laptops with AMD chips.
24 >
25 >Just for laughs, Intel just released a new Pentium4 Ext.Ed. (Dual
26 >core, 955) to counter the FX-60 from AMD. PC World tested the chip...
27 > the FX-60 was ~30% faster while being about $30 cheaper.
28 >
29 >Okay, I'll stop evangelising AMD now. Thanks for listening (it makes
30 >me feel somewhat important).
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list