From: Hung Dang <hungptit@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rsync + tar + bz2 ?
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 19:16:41
1 Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
2 > Am Samstag, 7. März 2009 17:04:17 schrieb Grant:
3 >
4 >> I'm backing up numerous large files on another machine on my local
5 >> network. I've only been using rsync, but it occured to me that I
6 >> might be able to save some time and space if I incorporate tar and
7 >> bzip2. How will rsync interact with those? If I turn the whole
8 >> backup into a big tar.bz2, would rsync need to redownload the whole
9 >> thing if I change one file? If so, maybe I should turn different
10 >> groups of files into tar.bz2 archives so rsync only needs to
11 >> redownload an archive if one of its files has changed?
14 > Another way, although a bit more work to setup, whould be to use a "Network
15 > block device". Unlike NFS, the server just exports the block device,
16 > everything else (mkfs, encryption) can be done on the client.
17 >
18 > Bye...
19 >
20 > Dirk
21 >
22 rsync will download only if source and destination files are different.
23 From my experiences using rar is faster and save more space than bz2.
24
25 Hung