From: Saphirus Sage <saphirus497@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rsync + tar + bz2 ?
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 19:33:45
1 Hung Dang wrote:
2 > Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
3 >> Am Samstag, 7. März 2009 17:04:17 schrieb Grant:
4 >>
5 >>> I'm backing up numerous large files on another machine on my local
6 >>> network. I've only been using rsync, but it occured to me that I
7 >>> might be able to save some time and space if I incorporate tar and
8 >>> bzip2. How will rsync interact with those? If I turn the whole
9 >>> backup into a big tar.bz2, would rsync need to redownload the whole
10 >>> thing if I change one file? If so, maybe I should turn different
11 >>> groups of files into tar.bz2 archives so rsync only needs to
12 >>> redownload an archive if one of its files has changed?
13 >>>
14 >>
15 >> Another way, although a bit more work to setup, whould be to use a
16 >> "Network block device". Unlike NFS, the server just exports the block
17 >> device, everything else (mkfs, encryption) can be done on the client.
18 >>
19 >> Bye...
20 >>
21 >> Dirk
22 >>
23 > rsync will download only if source and destination files are different.
24 > From my experiences using rar is faster and save more space than bz2.
25 >
26 > Hung
27 >
28 But rar is a proprietary archival format, I'd much sooner go with a tar,
29 compressed with bzip2 or lzma. If the biggest concern is just getting it
30 done quickly, gzip it, but for the love of all things free, not rar, I say!