From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Tips for fresh install with GRUB2+RAID1+LVM2
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 01:08:14
1 On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 6:08 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
2 >
3 > There were problems with btrfs and the kernel a few months ago (Rich
4 > Freeman was hit by that, maybe he chimes in here), but in general for me
5 > it is still a very positive experience.
8 It is nowhere near the stability of ext4. In the last year I've
9 probably had 2-3 periods of time where I was getting frequent panics,
10 or panics anytime I'd mount my filesystems rw. That said, I've never
11 had an occasion where I couldn't mount the filesystem ro, and I've
12 never had an actual loss of committed data. Just downtime while I
13 sorted things out. I do keep a full daily rsnapshot backup on ext4
14 right now since I consider btrfs experimental. However, if I were too
15 cheap to do that I wouldn't have actually lost anything yet.
16
17 On the other hand, both btrfs and zfs will get you a level of data
18 security that you simply won't get from ext4+lvm+mdadm - protection
19 from silent corruption. The only time I've ever had a filesystem eat
20 my data on linux was on ext4+lvm+mdadm actually - when I googled for
21 the specific circumstances I think I ran into one guy on a list
22 somewhere who had the same problem, but it is pretty rare (and one
23 piece of advice I would give to anybody using lvm is to backup your
24 metadata - if I had done that and was more careful about running fsck
25 in repair mode I probably could have restored everything without
26 issue). (For the curious, the issue was that I repaired a bunch of
27 fsck-detected problems in one filesystem and lost a lot of data in
28 another one. I suspect that LVM got its mapping messed up somehow,
29 and it might have had to do with operating in degraded mode (perhaps
30 due to a crash and need for rebuild).)
31
32 A big advantage of btrfs/zfs is that everything is checksummed on
33 disk, and the filesystem is not going to rely on anything that isn't
34 internally consistent. In the event of a rebuild/etc it can always
35 tell which copies are good/bad, unless you do something really crazy
36 like split an array onto two PCs, then rebuild both, and then try to
37 start mix the disks back together - from what I've heard btrfs lacks
38 generation numbers/etc needed to detect this kind of problem.
39
40 For personal use btrfs is great for playing around with the likely
41 future default linux filesystem. I wouldn't go installing it on
42 production servers in a workplace unless it was a really niche
43 situation, and then only with appropriate steps to mitigate the risks
44 (lots of testing of new kernel releases, backups or an ability to
45 regenerate the system, etc). I wouldn't go so far as to say that
46 there are no circumstances where it is the right tool for the job.
47 You should understand the pros/cons before using it, as with any tool.
50 Rich