From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Tips for fresh install with GRUB2+RAID1+LVM2
Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 22:08:46
1 On 17.05.2015 22:48, Nuno Magalhães wrote:
2 > On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 8:36 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
3 >> tl;dr ... maybe you listed some reason to stick with mdadm/lvm2/xfs etc
4 >> ... sorry in that case
5 >
6 > I didn't. 2 disks with RAID1/LVM, 2 disks (maybe) with ZFS. Pairs
7 > because by board has 2 SATA channels, otherwise i'd go RAID5 and gain
8 > an extra TB.
9 > BTRFS seems a bit unstable at the moment (i could be wrong).
10
11 not for your use-case = RAID1
12
13 -> google for Chris Mason, btrfs, stable ...
14
15 Ok, it is not as tested as XFS or ext4 ... but stable enough for
16 desktops with a few disks (avoid RAID5/6 for now, yes .. but lev1 should
17 be fine already).
18
19 btrfs is in development still, sure (all other fs are in development as
20 well ;) ).
21
22 -
23
24 So if you decide for it, keep your kernel and btrfs-progs updated ...
25 and an eye on the btrfs-mailing-list(s). And don't overdo with the
26 snapshots ( ... 10, ok ... hundreds, hmm ... ).
27
28 backups ... no comment needed, right?
29
30 There were problems with btrfs and the kernel a few months ago (Rich
31 Freeman was hit by that, maybe he chimes in here), but in general for me
32 it is still a very positive experience.
33
34 I run it on 2 servers with RAID1-setups, a desktop with an SSD and a
35 RAID1 for 2 hdds ... and on two laptops with dualboot-setups ... after
36 the initial learning phase I am basically just using it and happy.
37
38 No more re-partitioning hassle ... checksums overall ... snapshots if
39 you want ... etc etc
40
41 For example I cloned my working rootfs into a separate btrfs-subvolume,
42 and rebuilt everything in there (using systemd-nspawn ... off-topic
43 here) ... and then switched over to that rootfs by simply adding a new
44 gummiboot entry.
45
46 As you ordered 2 ssds right now this seems a perfect opportunity to
47 start over and test something "new" (btrfs is in the linux kernel since
48 2009).
49
50 good luck, have fun, Stefan