From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kmail2 - I have not given up ... yet
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2016 10:43:46
1 "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> writes:
2
3 > On Wednesday, December 30, 2015 09:32:55 PM lee wrote:
4 >> "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> writes:
5 >> > On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 08:03:25 PM Mick wrote:
6 >> >> On Tuesday 29 Dec 2015 17:37:25 lee wrote:
7 >> >> > Are we at the point where users are accepting to have to install and
8 >> >> > maintain a fully fledged RDBMS just for a single application which
9 >> >> > doesn't even need a database in the first place?
10 >> >>
11 >> >> Yes, a sad state of affairs indeed. I was hoping for the last 5-6 years
12 >> >> that someone who can code would come to their senses with this
13 >> >> application
14 >> >> and agree that not all desktop application use cases require some
15 >> >> enterprise level database back end architecture, when a few flat data
16 >> >> files
17 >> >> have served most users perfectly fine for years. I mean, do I *really*
18 >> >> need a database for less that 60 entries in my address book?!!
19 >> >
20 >> > I'm no longer convinced a database isn't needed.
21 >> > Kmail1 was slower than kmail2 is these days.
22 >>
23 >> We are talking here about a single application. Are users nowadays
24 >> generally willing, inclined and in the position to deploy a RDBMS just
25 >> in order to use a single application? Can they be expected to run
26 >> several RDBMSs when the next application comes along and suggests mysql
27 >> instead of postgresql?
28 >
29 > Most applications use a database of one type or another.
30 > Flatfiles are a bad idea when performance is important with large datasets.
31
32 Then why don't they all use postgresql or mysql? It might then make
33 sense to install either of them.
34
35 > My email is a large dataset.
36
37 Not every large dataset is suited to be stored in a database like mysql
38 or postgresql. That's particularly true for email.
39
40 >> Ironically, in this case you require the RDBMS to be able to use an
41 >> application which is too unstable to be used even without one. Why not
42 >> use a better application for the same purpose instead? You wouldn't
43 >> have to worry about your emails then.
44 >
45 > I don't worry about my emails.
46 > I find kmail2 to be more stable and usable then kmail1.
47
48 I'm surprised you're not worried when it seems not unusual that kmail
49 becomes unstable and even randomly deletes email.