From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kmail2 - I have not given up ... yet
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 12:29:06
1 On Wednesday, December 30, 2015 09:32:55 PM lee wrote:
2 > "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> writes:
3 > > On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 08:03:25 PM Mick wrote:
4 > >> On Tuesday 29 Dec 2015 17:37:25 lee wrote:
5 > >> > Are we at the point where users are accepting to have to install and
6 > >> > maintain a fully fledged RDBMS just for a single application which
7 > >> > doesn't even need a database in the first place?
8 > >>
9 > >> Yes, a sad state of affairs indeed. I was hoping for the last 5-6 years
10 > >> that someone who can code would come to their senses with this
11 > >> application
12 > >> and agree that not all desktop application use cases require some
13 > >> enterprise level database back end architecture, when a few flat data
14 > >> files
15 > >> have served most users perfectly fine for years. I mean, do I *really*
16 > >> need a database for less that 60 entries in my address book?!!
17 > >
18 > > I'm no longer convinced a database isn't needed.
19 > > Kmail1 was slower than kmail2 is these days.
20 >
21 > We are talking here about a single application. Are users nowadays
22 > generally willing, inclined and in the position to deploy a RDBMS just
23 > in order to use a single application? Can they be expected to run
24 > several RDBMSs when the next application comes along and suggests mysql
25 > instead of postgresql?
26
27 Most applications use a database of one type or another.
28 Flatfiles are a bad idea when performance is important with large datasets.
29 My email is a large dataset.
30
31 > Ironically, in this case you require the RDBMS to be able to use an
32 > application which is too unstable to be used even without one. Why not
33 > use a better application for the same purpose instead? You wouldn't
34 > have to worry about your emails then.
35
36 I don't worry about my emails.
37 I find kmail2 to be more stable and usable then kmail1.
40 Joost