From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kmail2 - I have not given up ... yet
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 20:33:47
1 "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> writes:
2
3 > On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 08:03:25 PM Mick wrote:
4 >> On Tuesday 29 Dec 2015 17:37:25 lee wrote:
5 >> > Are we at the point where users are accepting to have to install and
6 >> > maintain a fully fledged RDBMS just for a single application which
7 >> > doesn't even need a database in the first place?
8 >>
9 >> Yes, a sad state of affairs indeed. I was hoping for the last 5-6 years
10 >> that someone who can code would come to their senses with this application
11 >> and agree that not all desktop application use cases require some
12 >> enterprise level database back end architecture, when a few flat data files
13 >> have served most users perfectly fine for years. I mean, do I *really*
14 >> need a database for less that 60 entries in my address book?!!
15 >
16 > I'm no longer convinced a database isn't needed.
17 > Kmail1 was slower than kmail2 is these days.
18
19 We are talking here about a single application. Are users nowadays
20 generally willing, inclined and in the position to deploy a RDBMS just
21 in order to use a single application? Can they be expected to run
22 several RDBMSs when the next application comes along and suggests mysql
23 instead of postgresql?
24
25 Ironically, in this case you require the RDBMS to be able to use an
26 application which is too unstable to be used even without one. Why not
27 use a better application for the same purpose instead? You wouldn't
28 have to worry about your emails then.