From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Package management, depclean and new installs
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 23:38:33
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 18:02:55 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >>> Fair enough. I use standard gentoo-sources but always like to keep at
5 >>> least one previous version available "just in case". I unmerge old
6 >>> versions manually, I have to delete kernel sources manually anyway as
7 >>> emerge only removes the files it installed, leaving all the files
8 >>> created when compiling the kernel.
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >> I "borrowed" your method a good while back and do it the same way.  Even
12 >> if I use emerge to remove it, it always leaves cruft behind so I just do
13 >> it manually then tell emerge to remove it from its info.
14 > When I checked it in the past
15 >
16 > rm -fr /usr/src/linux-version
17 > emerge -C gentoo-sources-version
18 >
19 > was significantly faster than
20 >
21 > emerge -C gentoo-sources-version
22 > rm -fr /usr/src/linux-version
27 That's what I found out too.  That's why I delete manually first then
28 tell emerge to.  Plus, you have to delete manually anyway so may as well
29 save time.  ;-)
30
31 Dale
32