From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Package management, depclean and new installs
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 23:11:54
1 On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 18:02:55 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > > Fair enough. I use standard gentoo-sources but always like to keep at
4 > > least one previous version available "just in case". I unmerge old
5 > > versions manually, I have to delete kernel sources manually anyway as
6 > > emerge only removes the files it installed, leaving all the files
7 > > created when compiling the kernel.
11 > I "borrowed" your method a good while back and do it the same way.  Even
12 > if I use emerge to remove it, it always leaves cruft behind so I just do
13 > it manually then tell emerge to remove it from its info.
14
15 When I checked it in the past
16
17 rm -fr /usr/src/linux-version
18 emerge -C gentoo-sources-version
19
20 was significantly faster than
21
22 emerge -C gentoo-sources-version
23 rm -fr /usr/src/linux-version
27 Neil Bothwick
28
29 If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.