From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Package management, depclean and new installs
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 23:03:06
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 21:31:35 +0200, Arve Barsnes wrote:
3 >
4 >>> On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 10:33:58 +0200, Arve Barsnes wrote:
5 >>> I picked up this tip some years ago to avoid depcleaning kernel
6 >>> sources.
7 >>>
8 >>> % cat /etc/portage/sets.conf
9 >>> [kernels]
10 >>> class = portage.sets.dbapi.OwnerSet
11 >>> world-candidate = False
12 >>> files = /usr/src
13 >>>
14 >>> and emerge -n @kernels
15 >> Interesting way to do it. I want them depcleaned though, as soon as I
16 >> confirm that the new kernel works as expected. I use a custom
17 >> patch-set, so I never have any updates unless I add them myself, so
18 >> I'm not sure if using a set would give me anything.
19 > Fair enough. I use standard gentoo-sources but always like to keep at
20 > least one previous version available "just in case". I unmerge old
21 > versions manually, I have to delete kernel sources manually anyway as
22 > emerge only removes the files it installed, leaving all the files created
23 > when compiling the kernel.
27 I "borrowed" your method a good while back and do it the same way.  Even
28 if I use emerge to remove it, it always leaves cruft behind so I just do
29 it manually then tell emerge to remove it from its info.
30
31 I sometimes end up with 3 to 4 kernels.  Before the init thingys came
32 along, I didn't worry about removing kernels.  I just left them since
33 space wasn't a issue.  With the init thingys tho, it doubles or so the
34 space needed for each kernel.  So, when I get a couple new stable ones,
35 I delete old ones to keep a little breathing room.
36
37 Your way is nifty.  No more editing package files every time I want to
38 upgrade or something.
39
40 Dale
41