From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Does root=PARTUUID=<> work with DOS partition table?
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 14:44:27
1 I'm trying to install Gentoo with root on a USB SSD. In order to
2 allow for varying enumeration order of USB block-storage devices, I've
3 configured grub to search for its root by using the filesystem label,
4 and that seems to work.
5
6 Since I'm not using an initrd, on the kernel command line I can't use
7 root=LABEL=<> or root=UUID=<>. Right?
8
9 But, supposedly I can use root=PARTUUID=<>.
10
11 That doesn't seem to work. The kernel always reports
12
13 cannot open root device "PARTUUID=4e66c96c-01"
14
15 Where 4e66c96c-01 is the PARTUUID value shown by the blkid command.
16
17 I've tried a rootdelay of up to 20 seconds, and that doesn't seem to
18 help.
19
20 All the examples I can find of people using root=PARTUUID=<> show the
21 longer PARTUUID values you get with a GPT parition table. Does the
22 root=PARTUUID=<> mechanism only work with GPT and not with DOS
23 parition tables?
26 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Okay ... I'm going
27 at home to write the "I HATE
28 gmail.com RUBIK's CUBE HANDBOOK FOR
29 DEAD CAT LOVERS" ...