From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: [gentoo-user] Intel Core Duo Processor - Anyone?
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 20:34:06
1 On 3/29/06, Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > You have no idea what portable is. One month on a 3.7lb. 12.1 inch
3 > X40 and you'll never go back - even if you wanted to!
4
5 Well, everybody has different needs/tastes. Frankly, I wouldn't even
6 want to _touch_ something with a 12.1in screen. ;->
7
8 Portability is not my primary concern. Nor is battery life. Reading
9 and responding to email on the road is not something I need to do
10 frequently, or when I do, I can wait until I get to the hotel or the
11 conference room. I have never even had a desire to pull out a laptop
12 on a plane...heck, I don't even bother with an ipod or pda usually.
13
14 My big issue is screen resolution; I need a very high resolution
15 screen for viewing technical schematics with good scope and readable
16 fonts. I was working with a visitor recently who constantly had me
17 print out schematics because he could not read them on his laptop or
18 the available desktop without zooming in so far that he couldn't see
19 the overall diagram. On my 17" screen at 1920x1200 though, neither of
20 us had any problems with the display.
21
22 The _minimum_ I can work with is about 1400x1050 (1680x1050 in a wide format).
23
24 > Just a word of the wise from many experienced laptop users:
25
26 Does using a laptop for 12-14 hours/day every day for the last 3 years
27 count as 'experienced'? ;-> Including international travel?
28
29 > world's strongest man would still have to admit that 13 pounds isn't a
30 > good idea.
31
32 No argument there...9lb + case + power supply is more than most people
33 would want or need to deal with. But there is no sub-5lb laptop
34 available today that can meet my display needs.
35
36 -Richard
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list