From: Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: [gentoo-user] Intel Core Duo Processor - Anyone?
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 23:47:25
1 On 3/29/06, Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 3/29/06, Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > You have no idea what portable is. One month on a 3.7lb. 12.1 inch
4 > > X40 and you'll never go back - even if you wanted to!
5 >
6 > Well, everybody has different needs/tastes. Frankly, I wouldn't even
7 > want to _touch_ something with a 12.1in screen. ;->
8
9 That's just you - and as I said, there are a few exceptions. However,
10 for most users, 17" isn't necessary, wouldn't you agree?
11
12 > Portability is not my primary concern. Nor is battery life. Reading
13 > and responding to email on the road is not something I need to do
14 > frequently, or when I do, I can wait until I get to the hotel or the
15 > conference room. I have never even had a desire to pull out a laptop
16 > on a plane...heck, I don't even bother with an ipod or pda usually.
17
18 Yeah, however, I see all these people buy a cheap laptop from Dell and
19 expect it to run stuff like Doom 3. They end up hating their laptop
20 because it's slow, heavy, and by running D3 they kiss whatever was
21 left of their poor battery goodbye.
22
23 > My big issue is screen resolution; I need a very high resolution
24 > screen for viewing technical schematics with good scope and readable
25 > fonts. I was working with a visitor recently who constantly had me
26 > print out schematics because he could not read them on his laptop or
27 > the available desktop without zooming in so far that he couldn't see
28 > the overall diagram. On my 17" screen at 1920x1200 though, neither of
29 > us had any problems with the display.
30
31 That's you and what you do. A guy who does finances at Safeway corp.
32 hq doesn't need the equivalent of Bill Gate's mansion in screen real
33 estate. You do.
34
35 > The _minimum_ I can work with is about 1400x1050 (1680x1050 in a wide format).
36
37 Great for you. However, if you got a laptop for non-work use
38 (personal, communications, mobile DVD viewing, &c) would you rather
39 get the massive 9 pound thing you use at work, or a nice small 14"
40 portable?
41
42 When you get the 17", you're buying for necessity. Go smaller if you
43 can afford it. You can't ATM. There's nothing wrong with that.
44
45 > > Just a word of the wise from many experienced laptop users:
46 >
47 > Does using a laptop for 12-14 hours/day every day for the last 3 years
48 > count as 'experienced'? ;-> Including international travel?
49
50 Yeah, experienced in your area of expertise and how it relates to
51 laptop buying decisions. Different people have different patterns of
52 mobile use. ~90% of the people I know need to use their laptop on the
53 go. They're the people my advice is aimed at.
54
55 > > world's strongest man would still have to admit that 13 pounds isn't a
56 > > good idea.
57 >
58 > No argument there...9lb + case + power supply is more than most people
59 > would want or need to deal with. But there is no sub-5lb laptop
60 > available today that can meet my display needs.
61
62 Yeah... Lenovo, to give them credit, came really close. 15.1" in
63 their Z60t at only 4lbs.
64
65 Before I forget: I lied. I doublechecked the #s and my X40 is really
66 2.7 lbs. Srry... won't let it happen again ; )
70 GCS d-(++) s+: a? C++ UL+>++++ P+
71 L++ E--- W+(+++) N++ o? K? w--- O? M+
72 V? PS- PE+ Y-(--) PGP- t+++ 5? X R tv-- b+
73 DI+++ D+ G e* h- !r !y
74 ========= END GCv3.12 ========
77 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list