From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MySQL 5.1 and Amarok
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 21:03:05
1 On Sunday 21 February 2010 18:18:18 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Sonntag 21 Februar 2010, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Sunday 21 February 2010 11:44:18 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 > > > It's not possible to use Amarok with the "embedded" USE flag with the
5 > > > newly released MySQL 5.1. Why is that? Can we expect it to work at
6 > > > some point?
7 > >
8 > > Do you mean it doesn't work, or the upgrade is dogdy with blocker
9 > > messages that seem to have no source, make no sense, and no reason
10 > > given?
11 > >
12 > > My update this morning would not proceed with amarok-2.2.2 installed, and
13 > > portage could not work it's automagic. Unmerging amarok, emergeing world,
14 > > then merging amarok-2.2.2.90 seems to be proceeding fine, it's building
15 > > as I type.
16 > >
17 > > No guarantees it will succeed though...
18 > > Or that it will work in any sane fashion.
19 > >
20 > > I'm starting to get really ticked off with amarok. The trials the devs
21 > > have put me through defy belief,
22 >
23 > what is so bad about typing emerge amarok?
24
25 Initiating the build is not the problem. When the build fails like today, and
26 it is eerily familiar to errors of the past (see later), then that is a
27 problem. Today's error:
28
29 Linking CXX shared module ../../../../lib/amarok_collection-
30 mysqlecollection.so
31 /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.3/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld:
32 /usr/lib64/mysql/libmysqld.a(client.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against
33 `mysql_server_last_error' can not be used when making a shared object;
34 recompile with -fPIC
35 /usr/lib64/mysql/libmysqld.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
36 collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
37
38 Until recently, the entire amarok-2.0 range was beset with build trouble, most
39 often related to mysql. It all comes down to the really odd things the amarok
40 devs are doing with mysql, which causes problems for us gentoo users. Binary
41 distros don't have this problem, the maintainers there simply adjust their
42 build farms to cope and then ship the result. Which the user will not
43 recompile and all is good.
44
45 We can look at amarok's history of randomly crashing for no good reason when
47 conditions. Our how about the long period when it just steadfastly refused to
48 even try to read and build a collection, despite the devs declaring it to be a
49 useable stable release
50
51 I'm not making this up, it's all there is in the bugzillas, every ugly
52 embarrassing bit of it.
53
54 Like I said, I'd like this app to succeed. But the evidence shows that the
55 devs are probably not capable of making it so, given the numbers of
56 showstoppers it's had in it's basic functionality and backend.
57
58 It just ain't there yet.
59 Ye gods, I'm starting to sound like Dale :-)
60
61 > openoffice - now that is a real bitch...
62
63 Can't argue with that. But at least 3.2.0 built here today first time (after
64 I'd given it 6G free in /var/tmp/portage/)
67 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com