From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hardware upgrade and Gentoo
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 20:31:04
1 On Wednesday 18 July 2007 20:38, Daniel da Veiga wrote:
2 > On 7/18/07, Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net> wrote:
3 > > instead of two emerge --emptytree it would be faster to just nuke the
4 > > installation....
5 > >
6 > > I agree. Just back up /etc, make a copy of your world file and any
7 > > other config files you may need and start from scratch. At least then
8 > > you KNOW for sure where you started from and that something didn't get
9 > > missed somewhere.
10 > >
11 > > Oh, don't forget /home either.
12 >
13 > I was just going to reply about that when you remind me I can keep the
14 > world file, and all the portage configs...
15 >
16 > Maybe I'll start from scratch then, copy the configs back and start an
17 > "emerge -uDN world" to get it all back, I guess this will save me some
18 > time, as I have all the tarballs from this two years at a network
19 > storage using NTFS.
20
21 You could always set your flags as you need them for the new machine and the
22 cross compile into a chroot. Finally, tar your new chrooted fs, transfer it
23 over to the new machine and untar. That's the theory anyway. I have not
24 practised what I preach, but I'm sure it is described somewhere in the forums
25 and Wiki.
26
27 Good luck.
28 --