From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: openvpn and ipp.txt
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2016 03:38:37
1 On 04/09/16 10:57, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > On 2016-09-04 08:17, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
3 >
4 >> Openvpn is supposed to use the file ipp.txt to hold the address
5 >> mapping its issued so it can reuse it as needed. The file is
6 >> automanaged and I am not editing it in any way. Openvpn creates the
7 >> file as root:root and u+rw on startup but entries never appear in it
8 >> and there are no errors in the logs.
9 >
10 > The obvious question: does the openvpn daemon run as root?
11 >
12 > (option "user" in the .conf file)
13 >
14 > I run openvpn 2.3.4 on debian (sorry, not migrating my server host to
15 > gentoo) and I do not see this problem.
18 open vpn is set to run under the openvpn user and group (default gentoo
19 - drop privileges) It also creates a log file with the same privileges
20 as ipp.txt and logging is working ok. I've tried using
21 /etc/openvpn/ipp.txt (default, both with and without path specifier) and
22 /tmp/ipp.txt.
23
24 BillK