From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Convincing portage...
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 22:20:18
1 On Fri, 3 Feb 2012 19:04:55 +0100, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2
3 > thank you _very_ much for the hints. That is far more easier than I
4 > exspected to be allowed to believe ;).
5
6 No it's not.
7
8 > One thing remains:
9 > I found no way to 'provide' a package without a versioning. Is it
10 > possible ?
11 >
12 > And:
13 > Let package 'C' depend on package 'B' which depends on package 'A'.
14 > C is installed.
15 > B is in entry in package.provided and installed from external sources.
16 > A is installed.
17 >
18 > Now I ran
19 >
20 > emerge --depclean -vp
21 >
22 > and it suggests to remove C.
23
24 See? Trying to fool and work around portage is always going to come back
25 and bite you. Either you trust it to look after your system or you do
26 not. Using package.provided is a kludge which *will* raise all sorts of
27 dependency and versioning issues at the most inconvenient time.
28
29 There is an ebuild for the version you want in an overlay, just use it
30 and let portage work as it is supposed to.
34 Neil Bothwick
35
36 I just took an IQ test. The results were negative.