From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Convincing portage...
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 18:06:36
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> [12-02-03 17:06]:
2 > meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > I treid the jack-audio-connection as supported by portage and had no
6 > > success at all with my hardware. I didn't find the reason, why it
7 > > alwasys killed itself after a short time.
8 > >
9 > > With JACK 1.9.8 (jack2) installed from source it works.
10 > >
11 > > I had to emerge -C jack-audio-connection for that.
12 > >
13 > > Now emerge/portage thinks, that jack-audio-connection-kit is missing
14 > > of course...
15 > >
16 > > I dont want to use layman or similiar.
17 > >
18 > > How can I convince portage in a "legal way" that this dependency is
19 > > satisfied?
20 > >
21 > > Thank you very much for any help in advance!
22 > >
23 > > Best regards,
24 > > mcc
32 > You are looking for package provided settings. Try here:
33 >
34 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3&chap=5
35 >
36 > All the way down to the bottom. Then here:
37 >
38 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~zmedico/portage/doc/man/portage.5.html
39 >
40 > It is about 1/4 of the way down on that page. Use the search function
41 > and search for provided.
42 >
43 > Hope that helps. I never have used it but have read about it.
44 >
45 > Dale
46 >
47 > :-) :-)
48 >
49 > --
50 > I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
51 > how you interpreted my words!
52 >
53 > Miss the compile output? Hint:
54 > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"
57 Hi,
58
59 thank you _very_ much for the hints. That is far more easier than I
60 exspected to be allowed to believe ;).
61
62 One thing remains:
63 I found no way to 'provide' a package without a versioning. Is it
64 possible ?
65
66 And:
67 Let package 'C' depend on package 'B' which depends on package 'A'.
68 C is installed.
69 B is in entry in package.provided and installed from external sources.
70 A is installed.
71
72 Now I ran
73
74 emerge --depclean -vp
75
76 and it suggests to remove C.
77
78 Is it possible to take B as provided as an replacement for that
79 package of the same name inside the portage tree since it uses exactly
80 the same nameing so it will depend on the same ....hrmmms.... dependencies???
81
82 Or am I talking nonsense....?
83
84 Best regards,