From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Portage option "--changed-use" not working?
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 18:39:10
1 »Q« wrote:
2 > On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 21:25:31 -0600
3 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Most man pages are Greek. My Greek is not real good.
6 >
7 > Maybe you've got LINGUAS set incorrectly. ;)
8 >
9 > Quoting the relevant bit again,
10 >
11 > the --changed-use option does not trigger reinstallation when flags
12 > that the user has not enabled are added or removed.
13 >
14 > kdeenablefinla was a flag the user (me or Hilco) had *not* enabled, so
15 > that option should *not* have triggered reinstallation.
16 >
17 > FWIW, there is discussion of the issue of triggering needless
18 > reinstalls on the dev list now because of kdeenablefinal, buried in the
19 > thread "[gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in sys-libs/glibc:...". It's
20 > mixed in with arguing about changing USE flags on stable ebuilds.
21 >
22 > --changed-use isn't mentioned, instead --exclude=kde-base/* is
23 > recommended, and they are talking about mentioning --exclude in the
24 > --newuse section of the man page.
25 >
26 > I'm not filing a --changed-use bug or posting in the dev list because of
27 > Medico's IMO rather prickly attitude about this kind of thing. He
28 > says in this case:
29 >
30 > The fact is, the user is not being forced to rebuild anything. They can
31 > simply run full system updates with --newuse less often if it puts
32 > too much strain on them.
33 >
34 > Lest I seem ungrateful, let me be clear I do appreciate the tons of
35 > work he's put into portage for many years.
41 Well, I'm like this. I had to emerge those packages because of the USE
42 flag doing whatever you want to call it. Then a couple days later, I
43 had to do it again for another reason. I posted this on -dev that I
44 wish they could have done both changes at the same time and someone else
45 posted about the same thing. That is a wish tho, nothing else. No
46 harm, nothing broke or blew up. My biggest thing tho, I want a sane
47 system that works. Sometimes that means compiling software several
48 times. If that is the case, then fine because I get what I want. I
49 used to run emerge -uv world for my updates. Sometimes that lead to
50 issues. Something changed and software would no longer work correctly
51 or was buggy or something. So, I added options until I could get a sane
52 system. I ended up with this boatload of settings:
53
54 emerge --jobs=10 --backtrack=30 --keep-going --verbose --newuse
55 --oneshot --quiet-build=n --with-bdeps=y --deep < world or some package
56 here >
57
58 Lets also not forget the revdep-rebuild command either.
59
60 That thing grew over time. Thing is, my system works pretty darn well.
61 That's what I wanted. This is also why I built a nice rig to do this on
62 too. I built my rig from parts with a AMD 4 core CPU running at 3.2Ghz,
63 16Gbs of ram with portages work directory on tmpfs and plenty of drive
64 space. I also have one heck of a CPU cooler and a super nice case with
65 lots of fans. All this because I know Gentoo requires lots of compiling.
66
67 The comment about man pages being Greek was sort of a old saying for
68 when you read something but it doesn't help or don't understand it. I
69 could have said that it was in French, Russian or any other language
70 that I don't speak. Sort of like a joke.
71
72 As everyone knows, there is always a workaround for things but you also
73 have to pick and chose your settings. I recently added --oneshot
74 because sometime back things started getting added to the world file
75 even if it was just a request for a upgrade of the package. I didn't
76 know that was changed and neither did some other folks. I had to go
77 clean up my world file and I think others did the same.
78
79 Sometimes I wonder if I should freeze portage version in place, read the
80 man page and get everything set like I EXPECT then stick with it for a
81 good long while. Thing is, Zac adds some really neat stuff and most
82 everything is really nice. Sometimes things sort of surprise me, like
83 adding packages to the world file when you only want a upgrade, but
84 still, he does make emerge do some neato things.
85
86 So, I may disagree with Zac on some things and I usually point that out
87 but I to am grateful for what he does cause he does some really neat
88 things. I also read somewhere that portage was a bit of a mess when he
89 started. I think all coders say that since everyone has their own style
90 but still, he has brought portage forward to say it lightly. We should
91 all be supportive of that. I know I am. I even said that when the
92 build output change discussion was going on.
93
94 Dale
95
99 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
100 how you interpreted my words!
101
102 Miss the compile output? Hint:
103 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"