From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Portage option "--changed-use" not working?
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 16:54:44
1 On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 21:25:31 -0600
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Most man pages are Greek. My Greek is not real good.
5
6 Maybe you've got LINGUAS set incorrectly. ;)
7
8 Quoting the relevant bit again,
9
10 the --changed-use option does not trigger reinstallation when flags
11 that the user has not enabled are added or removed.
12
13 kdeenablefinla was a flag the user (me or Hilco) had *not* enabled, so
14 that option should *not* have triggered reinstallation.
15
16 FWIW, there is discussion of the issue of triggering needless
17 reinstalls on the dev list now because of kdeenablefinal, buried in the
18 thread "[gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in sys-libs/glibc:...". It's
19 mixed in with arguing about changing USE flags on stable ebuilds.
20
21 --changed-use isn't mentioned, instead --exclude=kde-base/* is
22 recommended, and they are talking about mentioning --exclude in the
23 --newuse section of the man page.
24
25 I'm not filing a --changed-use bug or posting in the dev list because of
26 Medico's IMO rather prickly attitude about this kind of thing. He
27 says in this case:
28
29 The fact is, the user is not being forced to rebuild anything. They can
30 simply run full system updates with --newuse less often if it puts
31 too much strain on them.
32
33 Lest I seem ungrateful, let me be clear I do appreciate the tons of
34 work he's put into portage for many years.