From: Chad Feller <cfeller@××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CRON (Vixie) not working for local users ...
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 19:59:28
1 Curious. I just tested it on two of my Gentoo boxes. added myself to
2 the cron group (gpasswd -a <my username> cron), then as my regular user
3 ran "crontab -e" and entered
4
5 */5 * * * * /usr/bin/mutt
6 myemail@mydomain -s 'test from user'
7
8 Just to get it to email me every five minutes, which it is. I've also
9 got an empty cron.deny with no cron.allow (and am also using vixie
10 cron). I'm going to try to debug this with you, so just to throw a
11 couple of things out there:
12
13 1) Are you editing the users crontab directly or are you using "crontab
14 -e" ? Using the builtin crontab edit will catch errors which would
15 prevent execution...
16
17 2) Check your appropriate log file (I use sysklogd), so something like
18 tail -f /var/log/syslog might reveal something of interest.
19
20 Let me know.
21
22 Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
23 > Chad Feller wrote:
24 >> I haven't tried this on gentoo, but in general, and on other linux
25 >> distros:
26 >>
27 >> from crontab(1):
28 >>
29 >> If the cron.allow file exists, then you must be listed therein
30 >> in order
31 >> to be allowed to use this command. If the cron.allow file
32 >> does not
33 >> exist but the cron.deny file does exist, then you must not be
34 >> listed in
35 >> the cron.deny file in order to use this command. If neither
36 >> of these
37 >> files exists, only the super user will be allowed to use this
38 >> command.
39 >>
40 >> Let me know if gentoo adheres to that also.
41 >>
42 > cron.allow does not exist and cron.deny does exist, but no users are
43 > in it. Cron SHOULD be working.
44 >
45 > Tom Veldhouse
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list