From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alternate mta's
Date: Sun, 05 May 2013 09:45:37
1 Am Sat, 04 May 2013 18:15:20 -0400
2 schrieb Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>:
3
4 > On 2013-05-04 6:01 PM, Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> wrote:
5 > > I have both postfix and mailx. You'll notice that the category of mailx is
6 > > mail-client and not mail-mta (or "net-mail", as you wrote). mail-client/mailx is
7 > > simply a command line email client used for automating the sending and
8 > > receiving of emails; on my system it is as far as I can tell only used by
9 > > smartmontools.
10 > >
11 > > Unless msmtp also provides {,/usr}/bin/mail there isn't really an issue here.
12 >
13 > Oh... ok, well, now I'm just wondering why it decided to install it all
14 > of a sudden...
15 >
16 > <shrug>
17
18 That's what the ChangeLog files are
19 for: /usr/portage/app-forensics/rkhunter/ChangeLog shows two recent dependency
20 fixes, which each reference a bug report. In this case it's bug #398123,
21 according to which rkhunter uses the "mail" command in its daily cron job.
22 Obviously, without a /bin/mail provider installed (what virtual/mailx is for),
23 the mails will never get sent. Instead, you (hopefully) get error messages from
24 cron.
25
26 > Thanks
27
28 HTH
29 --
30 Marc Joliet
31 --
32 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
33 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup