From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How reliable is ext3?
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 08:56:28
1 On 04/24/2013 10:26:52 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 > SUSE are using btrfs in SLES, so it can't be that experimental or
4 > unstable
5 > any more.
6
7 That depends on the version of the kernel in use. I remember having
8 lost all data of a
9 btrfs file system with an early 3.x kernel. Meanwhile there have been
10 quite a lot of patches
11 to btrfs. With the more recent kernels (>= 3.6 I believe) this hasn't
12 happened any more.
13 I'd recommend kernel 3.8.x, at least (I'm running 3.9_rc7)
14
15 I remember that only last week,
16 /sbin/btrfsck --repair <DEVICE> failed with some spurious error on a
17 btrfs file system which happily turned out to be just OK. Note, that I
18 emerge the GIT sources
19 of btrfs-progs whenever I install a new kernel (each week in the last 7
20 weeks).
21
22 So, as of now, I wouldn't rely on btrfsck doing a good job.
23 But my btrfs file systems survived quite a few power losses without the
24 need to
25 btrfsck them.
26
27 Helmut.