From: 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: *WARNING* updating Xorg
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 17:34:11
1 daid kahl wrote:
2 >> 2. The second guide uses a lot of "one-shot" emerges; could anyone
3 >> please explain why I'd use a one-shot?
4 >>
5 >> ISTM that if a package is on my system, I'd want it routinely updated.
6 >> If I need it only once, then instruct me to unmerge it after it's done!?
9 > The basic idea of --oneshot is to avoid recording in the portage world
10 > file. So, for example, you want xorg and some other things in world. This
11 > will call in the dependencies. However, for major upgrades, my experience
12 > with other packages is that sometimes it's better to pull some new
13 > dependencies in first, then install the update. In principle, portage
14 > should take care of all this, but portage isn't always perfect. I'd guess
15 > this is the reason for --oneshot on some new xorg dependencies. They'll be
16 > called in on updates via dependencies, but this is a better way to proceed
17 > for updating from a lower version. Maybe on a newer version of xorg, these
18 > dependencies won't be required (unlikely, but possible), and thus you can
19 > avoid putting them explicitly in world.
20 >
21 > ~daid
24 Makes sense... thanks!