From: daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] *WARNING* updating Xorg
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 17:50:50
1 > 2. The second guide uses a lot of "one-shot" emerges; could anyone
2 > please explain why I'd use a one-shot?
3 >
4 > ISTM that if a package is on my system, I'd want it routinely updated.
5 > If I need it only once, then instruct me to unmerge it after it's done!?
8 The basic idea of --oneshot is to avoid recording in the portage world
9 file. So, for example, you want xorg and some other things in world. This
10 will call in the dependencies. However, for major upgrades, my experience
11 with other packages is that sometimes it's better to pull some new
12 dependencies in first, then install the update. In principle, portage
13 should take care of all this, but portage isn't always perfect. I'd guess
14 this is the reason for --oneshot on some new xorg dependencies. They'll be
15 called in on updates via dependencies, but this is a better way to proceed
16 for updating from a lower version. Maybe on a newer version of xorg, these
17 dependencies won't be required (unlikely, but possible), and thus you can
18 avoid putting them explicitly in world.
19
20 ~daid