From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Your opinion on jpeg encoders, please
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2021 02:55:29
1 On Mon, Jan 04, 2021 at 10:37:34PM +0100, Frank Steinmetzger wrote
2 >
3 > When I edit photos, I like to shrink and recompress them to save on
4 > space, but not mangle them too much in the process to lose quality.
5
6 Actually, shrinking *BY AN INTEGER NUMBER SHOULD IMPROVE QUALITY* as
7 well as saving space. In Google look up the phrase...
8
9 photography binning adjacent pixel
10
11 If you bin a 3840x2160 image by 2, you'll get a 1920x1080 result. If
12 you bin it by 3, you'll get 1280x720 image. The math is a bit
13 convoluted, but when you bin by a value of "n"...
14
15 * the information per combined pixel increases by a factor of "n"
16
17 * the noise per combined pixel increases by a factor of square root of "n"
18
19 So the "signal-to-noise-ratio" increases. The resulting image is less
20 noisey. The tradeoff is that the new image is smaller than the original.
21 I use the imagemagick "convert" utility from the commandline, but any
22 capable image software should work.
25 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
26 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications