From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Transferring an existing install to new disk
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 14:53:12
1 On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 08:03:51 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
2
3 > > If you're installing to a new disk, do a standard Gentoo install to
4 > > that disk, but do it from your working setup instead of the live CD
5 > > environment. Your existing installation has all the tools you need to
6 > > build a new setup in a chroot.
7 >
8 > I'm having a bit of a thick skulled problem understanding what you
9 > mean above.
10 >
11 > I can't think of how I would do a fresh install to a new disk from a
12 > working vmware guest on a different machine or even on the same
13 > machine for that matter.
14
15 The subject mentions a new disk, and your original post mentioned
16 installing anew for a machine you want to keep running, so I took it that
17 the new disk goes in the old computer.
18
19 So boot your existing Gentoo setup as usual, then follow the handbook to
20 install on the new disk. You do not have to boot from a live CD to
21 install Gentoo, and suitable working Linux environment will do the job,
22 and an existing Gentoo installation is more than suitable.
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 Don't just read the Tagline; read the MESSAGE!