From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs.ext@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: 500 meg / partition (including /boot) *WITHOUT USING LVM*
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 12:15:46
1 Am Dienstag, 4. September 2007 schrieb ext Remy Blank:
2 > Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
3 > >> Do you even need one?
4 > >
5 > > Yes, I do. Because I have / on a logical volume which may (in case of a
6 > > laptop) also be encrypted.
7 >
8 > Right. I think I might have confused the necessity to have an initramfs
9 > for LVM and the need to have it for an encrypted root.
10 >
11 > OTOH, if you put /usr, /home, /var, /tmp and all the others on LVM, you
12 > could just leave the root partition unencrypted, as it wouldn't contain
13 > anything sensitive.
14
15 I know it's not the safest thing to do, but I have the key for the other
16 volumes on the root volume, so that this is the only one for which I need a
17 passphrase. And no I can't put them on a USB stick, because USB is
18 (physically) defective on this Laptop :-(
19
20 > >> And from what I remember, you can't resize a mounted ext3 partition
21 > >
22 > > You should refresh your memory, then :-) Those times are long over.
23 >
24 > I have googled a bit but I couldn't find any recent references for that
25 > except for a RedHat patch to 2.6.7. Specifically, e2fstools doesn't seem
26 > to mention online resizing at all.
27 >
28 > Could you give me a pointer?
29
30 Can't remember when e2fstools were dropped from Gentoo, but resize2fs is
31 part of e2fsprogs.
32
33 > > Do it right, then - use EVMS *SCNR*
34 >
35 > Any specific pros/contras?
36
37 The only contra I know is that EVMS currently (still) can't handle online
38 ext2/3 resize, but you can still do it manually as you would with pure LVM
39 anyway. (Or use a different fs).
40
41 Other than that it IMHO has only pros. Be it partitioning, sw raid, logical
42 volumes, fs creation, resizing, even mounting :-) - everything is done in
43 one single tool.
44
45 > From the homepage it looks rather complicated
46
47 Not more than LVM. The terminology is a bit different though, but once
48 you're used to it it is much simpler. I switched from LVM (1) to EVMS its
49 early stages (kernel 2.4) and never looked back.
50
51 Bye...
52
53 Dirk
54 --
55 Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
56 Configuration Manager | Fax: +49 (0)211 47068 111
57 Capgemini Deutschland | Mail: dirk.heinrichs@×××××××××.com
58 Wanheimerstraße 68 | Web: http://www.capgemini.com
59 D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733
60 GPG Public Key C2E467BB | Keyserver: www.keyserver.net