From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd net interfaces always want a default route?
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 03:53:30
1 On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 9:45 PM, Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >>
3 >> If it's a static network (meaning, the computer does not usually moves
4 physically), why don't you use a .network unit file (man 5 systemd.network)?
7 >> I'm converting my configs over to that now. Thanks.
10 > Another question - i have a wired interface that's always on, and
11 wireless interface that doesnt start at boot and it not always running. I
12 used to just run the openrc init script to start and stop it, since openrc
13 used per interface scripts. With systemd the wired interface is fine using
14 /etc/systemd/network/<interface>.network, but AFAIK I wont be able to use a
15 *.network file for the wireless interface because then its status will be
16 tied to the wired interface.
17 >
18 > What's the standard systemd way for me to control the wireless interface?
19
20 There isn't one. networkd is only for really simple networks, and wireless
21 networks are not considered as such.
22
23 You can use wpa_supplicant.service, or wpa_supplicant@<interface>.service,
24 or just go to a full fledged network management program like wicd,
25 NetworkManager, or several others.
26
27 I use networkd in all my wired machines. For wireless machines, I use
28 NetworkManager.
29
30 I believe you can use wpa_supplicant to handle all your wireless (and even
31 wired) needs. Check out "man 5 wpa_supplicant.conf", and then just enable
32 and start wpa_supplicant@<interface>.service.
33
34 Regards.
35 --
36 Canek Peláez Valdés
37 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias