From: David Obwaller <david.obwaller@×××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Virtual Hosting (server?)
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 07:34:17
1 On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 05:49:38PM -0700, Joseph wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 19:11 -0500, Jason Castonguay wrote:
3 > > I am wanting to do what I think is called virtual hosting -- have my
4 > > computer act for 3 or 4 different domains. Each domain would seem to
5 > > have its own services. For example: a different web page would come up
6 > > when going to <host1.com> than when going to <host2.com>. Is virtual
7 > > hosting the right idea for this? Is this the same as a virtual server?
8 > >
9 > > I found documentation on the gentoo.org site:
10 > >
11 > > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/vserver-howto.xml
12 > >
13 > > Is this the right idea? It sounds like I need a different kernel
14 > > altogether. I thought all Linux machines used the same kernel (but
15 > > perhaps with tweaks and things).
16 > >
17 > > I appreciate any feedback. Thank you very much.
18 >
19 > All you need is Apache. You don't need any special kernel.
20
21 I can't tell for apache 1.* as I'm using apache 2, but if you intend using
22 apache 2 you should check out /etc/apache2/conf/vhosts/* and httpd.apache.org
23 documentation on virtual hosts.
24
25 I think you want to use name based virtual hosting. This means you have one ip
26 for your server and multiple domains pointing to your server.
27
28 You'll have to include vhosts.conf in apache2.conf by uncommenting one line.
29 Then setup your vhosts in vhosts.conf and you're done. At least I think this
30 was everything I needed to do.
31
32 David
33 --