From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update - why doesn't it update my kde packages
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 19:42:14
1 KH wrote:
2 > Am 04.05.2010 16:59, schrieb David W Noon:
3 >> On Tue, 04 May 2010 11:00:01 +0200, Helmut Jarausch wrote about
4 >> [gentoo-user] emerge --update - why doesn't it update my kde packages:
5 >>
6 >> [snip]
7 >>> Still, eix confirmed there were quite a lot of kde packages which have
8 >>> newer versions, and indeed,
9 >>> emerge -auv1 -j4 --keep-going $(qlist -IC kde-base/)
10 >>> upgraded 24 packages.
11 >>>
12 >>> Where does this discrepancy come from?
13 >>
14 >> I think Portage does not consider packages that are not in your world
15 >> file, if the update is on world (or system).
16 >>
17 >> To overcome this, I wrote a little script, called update_orphans.sh.
18 >> Here it is:
19 >>
20 >> <-------cut-----------> update_orphans.sh<----------cut------------->
21 >> #!/bin/sh
22 >>
23 >> eix -u | gawk '/^\[U\] / { print $2; }' | xargs -r emerge -v1uD
24 >>
25 >> exit $?
26 >> <-------cut-----------><--------cut------><----------cut------------->
27 >>
28 >> I run it immediately after the main emerge, when I have rsync'ed the
29 >> Portage tree.
30 >
31 > No. --with-bdeps is not default anymore because it is considered to be
32 > a bug if portage updates packages not used in any way. This is only if
33 > a package is needed for buildtime.
34 >
35 > Program A is version 1.5. To build it, it needs program B which at
36 > this time is version 4.7
37 > B is not needed for anything else!
38 >
39 > Now there is an update to B-4.9 . Portage will not update B as long as
40 > there is no update to A.
41 >
42 > B is not in the world file. It is not a runtime dependency nore is it
43 > a orphan.
44 >
45 > kh
49 I have with-bdeps set in my make.conf so that it is enabled each time.
50 I just ran the command given above and it found over 40 packages that
51 need to be upgraded. I'm not even going to claim that I understand all
52 the chicken scratch in that command but apparently stuff needed to be
53 upgraded on my system that was being missed.
54
55 It appears to do something good even if it is not related to the OPs
56 problem.
57
58 Dale
59