From: KH <gentoo-user@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update - why doesn't it update my kde packages
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 20:03:00
1 Am 04.05.2010 21:41, schrieb Dale:
2 >>> <-------cut-----------> update_orphans.sh<----------cut------------->
3 >>> #!/bin/sh
4 >>>
5 >>> eix -u | gawk '/^\[U\] / { print $2; }' | xargs -r emerge -v1uD
6 >>>
7 >>> exit $?
8 >>> <-------cut-----------><--------cut------><----------cut------------->
9 >>>
10 >>> I run it immediately after the main emerge, when I have rsync'ed the
11 >>> Portage tree.
12 >>
13 >> No. --with-bdeps is not default anymore because it is considered to be
14 >> a bug if portage updates packages not used in any way. This is only if
15 >> a package is needed for buildtime.
16 >>
17 >> Program A is version 1.5. To build it, it needs program B which at
18 >> this time is version 4.7
19 >> B is not needed for anything else!
20 >>
21 >> Now there is an update to B-4.9 . Portage will not update B as long as
22 >> there is no update to A.
23 >>
24 >> B is not in the world file. It is not a runtime dependency nore is it
25 >> a orphan.
26 >>
27 >> kh
31 > I have with-bdeps set in my make.conf so that it is enabled each time.
32 > I just ran the command given above and it found over 40 packages that
33 > need to be upgraded. I'm not even going to claim that I understand all
34 > the chicken scratch in that command but apparently stuff needed to be
35 > upgraded on my system that was being missed.
36 >
37 > It appears to do something good even if it is not related to the OPs
38 > problem.
39 >
40 > Dale
41
42 Hi,
43
44 For me it does try to update the same packages as --with-bdeps, but it
45 tries to pull in like 39 new packages.
46
47 How and where have you integrated with-bdeps in make.conf?
48
49 kh