From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ISP extortion [ Partially Resolved ]
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2017 02:54:11
1 On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 7:06 PM, Corbin Bird <corbinbird@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > Will act on the ( lawyer, deposit ) suggestions. And a new e-mail provider.
6 Good luck with that...
7
8 Honestly, I think a lawyer is a waste of money here. If you're in the
9 USA these sorts of arrangements are completely commonplace. It also
10 is common to put nonsense like "you can't talk to the FCC" in
11 contracts, though you can basically just ignore that sort of thing.
12
13 In any case, in the end the ISP is going to make a unilateral decision
14 about whether they're willing to bend any of their rules for you, and
15 if you don't like their decision your only options are internet or no
16 internet.
17
18 Yeah, it is stupid, but that's life in the USA. By all means talk to
19 your elected representative. Or, better still, contribute $100k to
20 their re-election campaign as that will get you a lot further. Be
21 prepared to outbid the ISP who no doubt has already made a nice
22 contribution. We can all commiserate about how lousy this is, but
23 you're wasting your time+money if you think you're going to win some
24 kind of legal battle with them.
27 Rich