From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ext3 FS File Size Limits
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2013 13:01:49
1 On Sun, Jun 02, 2013 at 04:55:40AM -0700, Fast Turtle wrote:
2 > I've been going around with this little problem for a while.
3
4 > I have several 30GB files I'm trying to restore from an NTFS formatted
5 > external backup to an ext3 partition, yet every attempt has failed
6 > right after 16GB of copying without fail or error message. They
7 > silently failing and I'm stumped.
8
9 > One of the possible causes I've thought of was running out of innodes
10 > but don't know how to check that or any of the other options used to
11 > create the file system on - anyone want to help there?
12
13 > I've also decided to look at the mke2f.conf file in /etc and see some
14 > default options being passed that may be causing the problems
15
16 > [defaults]
17 > base_features = sparse_super,filetype,resize_inode,dir_index,ext_attr
18 > default_mntopts = acl,user_xattr
19 > enable_periodic_fsck = 0
20 > blocksize = 4096
21 > inode_size = 256
22 > inode_ratio = 16384
23
24 > Normally I use either a 1024 for most everything due to the many small
25 > files though for the partition I'm attempting to restore the files to,
26 > I've used 2048 as a compromise due to the number of larger files
27 > (music/videos) and critical backups from /etc
28
29 The wikipedia page on Ext3 says that with a 1kB blocksize, the maximum
30 file size is 16GB, but with a 2kB blocksize it's 256GB. Could it be
31 you've somehow actually got a 1kB blocksize on the partition?
32
33 > I've also tried it with a default 4096 size on a 32GB ext2 formatted
34 > flash drive but even then, it's failing at 16GB w/o any error message.
35
36 Sounds like laziness on the part of the author of the copy program you're
37 using.
40 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).