From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What is the best way forward? - Update 2 - SUCCESS! - CURRENT!!!
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2021 02:31:04
1 On Mon, 08 Mar 2021 18:37:21 -0500,
2 Grant Taylor wrote:
3 >
4 > On 3/8/21 4:03 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
5 > > How do you feel it compares to just installing from scratch
6 > > while preserving whatever config and user data you care about?
7 > > I've done that quite a few times and it usually takes about 2-3
8 > > hours for the initial install and then overnight to build a
9 > > desktop environment (if one is needed).
10 >
11 > I feel like installing from scratch misses a lot of things. Even
12 > wholesale overwriting the new /etc with the old /etc is
13 > questionable. You'd have to make sure that all the same software
14 > was installed.
15 >
16 > Aside: I've spent too much time around other SAs that would
17 > ""recover a down server by doing fresh installs in hours and then
18 > spending weeks to get everything back to the way that it needed
19 > to be verses spending ~18 hours to restore from tape and have
20 > things work the way they were 24 hours prior. I also never cared
21 > for in place upgrades (installing over top of itself) in the
22 > Windows world.
23 >
24 > I feel *MUCH* /more/ comfortable with what I did than other
25 > solutions. I trust that this is the same install with patches
26 > applied. I couldn't and wouldn't say the same for an
27 > installation over the top or fresh installation.
28 >
29 > Don't get me wrong. I believe there are places for fresh
30 > installations. They usually happen coordinate with new machines
31 > and / or new drives for me.
32 >
33 > After all, I effectively have the same thing that I would have if
34 > I had done updates over the last year like they should have been
35 > done.
39 hmmm, I had to do a sort of fresh install, I did it on my running
40 system and I did it because portage and other stuff was messed up in
41 some way I could not fix, so I did the install, copied parts of my
42 /etc, emerged part of my world file -- that needed cleaning up too --
43 and kept doing this till I was done and then copied from my chroot to
44 my main system. I don't necessarily recomend this, but it did get
45 things cleaned up and working again. At least I didn't have to change
46 profiles and gcc versions several times. I guess different situations
47 require different methods.
52 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
53 How do
54 you spend it?
55
56 John Covici wb2una