From: Floyd Anderson <f.a@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mutt database option
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2018 15:13:09
1 On Sat, 07 Apr 2018 14:42:49 +0100
2 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >On Saturday, 7 April 2018 14:35:27 BST Floyd Anderson wrote:
4 >> Hi Mick,
5 >>
6 >> On Sat, 07 Apr 2018 11:21:23 +0100
7 >>
8 >> Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
9 >> >So far I had been using gdbm, but I now see that emerge also added lmdb.
10 >>
11 >> Same here, so I gave lmdb a try as hcache backend.
12 >>
13 >> >Which one is best to use? What have you chosen?
14 >>
15 >> I assume you mean for speed? I don’t know and it may become very
16 >> academic to answer this. But you can find some none Mutt-specific
17 >> benchmark results on NeoMutt’s website [1].
18 >>
19 >> Note, the mentioned benchmark page say:
20 >>
21 >> “[…] you’ll need a reasonable large number of
22 >> messages – >50k – to see anything interesting”
23 >>
24 >> Using lmdb as backend, I do not realise any differences over gdbm within
25 >> Mutt respectively NeoMutt and I doubt one really can (without measuring
26 >> it exactly – which I haven’t done yet).
29 >> References:
30 >> [1] <https://www.neomutt.org/contrib/hcache-bench>
31 >
32 >Thanks Floyd, good information.
33 >
34 >I also switched to lmdb now and updated my use flags accordingly for mutt. I
35 >see neomutt gaining traction, but I am still running mutt here. Is there a
36 >benefit from switching?
37
38 I think yes but I’m also using both here. Mutt for testing different
39 behaviour (sometimes issues) of NeoMutt and NeoMutt as as my day-to-day
40 mail client workhorse.
41
42 The main reason for my switch to NeoMutt was that I’ve had no luck with
43 colourisation in Mutt (nearly two years ago). TBH, afterwards I realised
44 that the problem was sitting in front of the screen and used
45 sys-libs/slang instead of sys-libs/ncurses), so no reason for a switch.
46
47 But I like the faster development/release cycle, the goal to clean up
48 the 20 years old code base and some features [1] of NeoMutt, e.g.
49 Lua-scripting, sidebar; which sometimes find their way into Mutt. I have
50 no experiences contributing patches to Mutt but regarded to NeoMutt, it
51 meet my expectations and that is fun.
52
53 Back to the topic, with a another example. As far as I can tell you
54 cannot change the hcache backend without recompiling Mutt where NeoMutt
55 implements the ‘$header_cache_backend’ configuration variable for.
56
57 But in the end I can only say forget all things above, I’m only more
58 familiar with NeoMutt than with Mutt.
61 References:
62 [1] <https://www.neomutt.org/feature.html>
67 Regards,
68 floyd