From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mutt database option
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2018 13:42:59
1 On Saturday, 7 April 2018 14:35:27 BST Floyd Anderson wrote:
2 > Hi Mick,
3 >
4 > On Sat, 07 Apr 2018 11:21:23 +0100
5 >
6 > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > >So far I had been using gdbm, but I now see that emerge also added lmdb.
8 >
9 > Same here, so I gave lmdb a try as hcache backend.
10 >
11 > >Which one is best to use? What have you chosen?
12 >
13 > I assume you mean for speed? I don’t know and it may become very
14 > academic to answer this. But you can find some none Mutt-specific
15 > benchmark results on NeoMutt’s website [1].
16 >
17 > Note, the mentioned benchmark page say:
18 >
19 > “[…] you’ll need a reasonable large number of
20 > messages – >50k – to see anything interesting”
21 >
22 > Using lmdb as backend, I do not realise any differences over gdbm within
23 > Mutt respectively NeoMutt and I doubt one really can (without measuring
24 > it exactly – which I haven’t done yet).
27 > References:
28 > [1] <https://www.neomutt.org/contrib/hcache-bench>
29
30 Thanks Floyd, good information.
31
32 I also switched to lmdb now and updated my use flags accordingly for mutt. I
33 see neomutt gaining traction, but I am still running mutt here. Is there a
34 benefit from switching?
37 Regards,
38 Mick