From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fileserver with Raid + Crypto + BtrFS
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 22:55:09
1 On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 22:18:15 +0100, Ralf wrote:
2
3 > >> What would be the best way to have a Raid 10 together with a
4 > >> encrypted Btrfs?
5 > > What about crypto on top of btrfs using a stacked filesystem like
6 > > ecryptfs?
7 > Nope, I also thought about that, but this is not elegant. Besides that,
8 > it would also slow down the system as ecryptfs runs in the VFS layer and
9 > is yet another layer which operates on top of an existing filesystem.
10 > (and not like luks, which would run a layer below btrfs). So that's a
11 > lot of overhead.
12
13 But you're only doing it once.
14
15 > Ecryptfs is really nice for encrypting dedicated files or directories
16 > but I don't think that it is a good solution for encrypting a _whole_
17 > general purpose filesystem.
18
19 Do you need to encrypt everything? Being able to only encrypt the
20 directories that need it may be an advantage.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.