From: Ralf <ralf+gentoo@×××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fileserver with Raid + Crypto + BtrFS
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 21:18:42
1 On 11/11/2015 07:19 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 18:09:39 +0100, Ralf wrote:
3 >
4 >> Btrfs supports Raid10 but no block-crypto.
5 >>
6 >> If I would use a HD->MD Raid->Luks->Btrfs stack, I don't benefit from
7 >> the Raid implementation of Btrfs.
8 > Nor do you get the automatic repair of corruption that btrfs RAID offers.
9 Oh cool, nice, I didn't know about that feature. But as you say, it's
10 definitely better using btrfs's raid instead of using stacked md raid.
11 >
12 >> If I would use a HD->Luks->Btrfs stack, then I would have to use four
13 >> different LUKS devices, which results in four individual encryptions
14 >> (and I don't have AES-NI, so this would be a tremendous slowdown).
15 > It would definitely be slower, but maybe not "tremendously".
16 Well yes, I would say so. My Box doesn't have AES-NI instruction set and
17 it 'only' has to relatively slow cores.
18 4x independent Luks results in 4x independent (en|de)cryption. Even now,
19 in my current configuration AES slows everything extremely down.
20 (before setting up my disks a few years ago, i benchmarked the setup
21 with and without luks. Afair, without Luks I had about Read:80Mib/s,
22 with Luks it's about 50MiB/s, and yes, everything is aligned correctly)
23 >
24 >> What would be the best way to have a Raid 10 together with a encrypted
25 >> Btrfs?
26 > What about crypto on top of btrfs using a stacked filesystem like
27 > ecryptfs?
28 Nope, I also thought about that, but this is not elegant. Besides that,
29 it would also slow down the system as ecryptfs runs in the VFS layer and
30 is yet another layer which operates on top of an existing filesystem.
31 (and not like luks, which would run a layer below btrfs). So that's a
32 lot of overhead.
33
34 Ecryptfs is really nice for encrypting dedicated files or directories
35 but I don't think that it is a good solution for encrypting a _whole_
36 general purpose filesystem.
37
38 And thinking about btrfs snapshot feature, using some 'btrfs history
39 tool', i would probably only be able to see a lot of crypto garbage when
40 going through my history (which can for sure be accessed by ecryptfs,
41 but not by standard btrfs tools).
42
43 Cheers
44 Ralf