From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Pre OpenRC update question...
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 12:21:05
1 Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2011-05-16 7:38 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 06:47:59AM -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On that note - I think I asked this a few months ago - I'm assuming I
7 >>> could continue using the old baselayout for a while, if I wanted,
8 >>> emerging updates (skipping the baselayout/OpenRC updates) for a while,
9 >>> without any problems, right?
10 >>>
11 >
12 >> I would not recommend doing this. The plan is to support
13 >> openrc/baselayout-2 as gentoo's default init system and deprecate
14 >> baselayout-1, which will eventually lead to things breaking if you are
15 >> still using baselayout-1.
16 >>
17 > Well, sure, I'm not talking about delaying the update for very long,
18 > weeks, maybe, but no more than a month or two at the most.
22 On my old rig, I updated it last night. On it, nothing else depended on
23 openrc and baselayout. It had other updates and I wanted to do the
24 openrc alone so I did emerge -1av openrc and that updated baselayout and
25 installed openrc. I might add, the machine is remotely ran over ssh.
26 The only time I touch it is to push the power switch to turn it on. The
27 upgrade was easy enough. Most of the things in the guide are done
28 during the install and can be skipped. It would be safer to check them
29 all tho. When I finished, I just typed in reboot & exit and a couple
30 minutes later, I logged back in. No problems at all.
31
32 If you want to hold off on the updates, just add the packages to
33 package.mask and it will skip them so that you can still use world and
34 system without pulling them in.
35
36 As was already stated, I wouldn't wait to long. It will most likely
37 start to breaking things pretty soon.
38
39 Dale
40